In 2008 I joined Survivalistboards, an English chap on there posted asking about a knife, a knife that turned out to be the Greenriver Deck Knife (I later found out it was called a Dadley design) as soon as I saw it I wanted one, at less than £20 I wasted no time.
I really liked the GrDK and used it often for a variety of tasks from wood work to food processing but at 5" it felt ungainly.
Last year I bought another as a project knife, this is what I came up with.
First I made a template of the blade, shortened it by one inch and marked it off on the blade:
I then cut the basic shape out using the dremel and finished shaping it with the belt sander, making sure to quench it frequently to stop it over heating and ruining the heat treatment;
The handle on the project knife was a little more squared and uncomfortable in the hand than the original so that needed shaping again done with the belt sander;
Although the sheath has slits for a belt loop the knife fits too snuggly to allow a belt to pass through so wrapping the knife in cling wrap I soak the sheath in warm water, inserted the knife and fed a belt through the slits to stretch the leather;
After this I stained the blade, I forced the patina by wrapping it in a vinegar soaked rag for 30 minutes (I kind of like the look as well as the benefit of the protection it adds);
I'm really pleased with how this turned out, I have a couple of ideas for the original now this one is completed but won't be using either until I have finished trialing the Cudeman MT1 I recieved back in May.