Saturday, 26 March 2016

A Few Hours to Myself.

Although I've been getting out everyday, even if it's just for an hour walking the boys and looking for foragables and watching the wildlife, yesterday was the first truly nice day of the year so I decided to make a day of it...






I've set myself the task of getting to grips with primitive fire, although I've been doing the "Bush Craft" thing for a few years it's something I've yet to come to grips with, I know I'm not alone in this so although disappointing it's nothing I'm overly ashamed of. Today was feather stick day, they're not something I've needed or even missed over the years so although I've dabbled I've yet to get those nice long curls often seen by those who have mastered this tricky little skill-set.

Making my way to a quiet spot ontop of a hill nearby overlooking a lake, I don't like going down to this lake it always upsets me but nature still manages to find a way...

We sat and watched a buzzard lazily circle overhead for a while until 2 crows decided they'd had enough and chased it off, watching the aerial combat for a while before the buzzard relented and moved on... (Please excuse the poor pictures I only carry my phone)



I brought 3 knives out with me, my neck knife I made, my Schrade Sodbuster I carry as EDC and my favourite bushcraft knife the Condor Sapien. 

First up my Condor, although I didn't manage the nice long curls I did manage to get a tidy little bunch...


Next my Sod-Buster, this being my EDC it's the knife I'm most likely to have on me at any given time so I feel it's important to use this knife for any many tasks as I'm able. Again no nice long curls but a tidy bunch all the same...



Next my neck knife, this bit deep I'm not sure if it was the lack of bevel, the small handle my heavy handedness or my complete lack of skill but I really struggled with this...



So what did I learn? Well it's not as easy as it looks and I definitely need more practice although to be fair I did manage to make enough shavings that I could have made a fire it wasn't the "feather-stick" I was aiming for...


The reason I like to sit up on the hill instead of along the waters edge is litter, apart from the usual chav sign of empty beer cans even the kids and adults who fish here leave rubbish behind, over the years I've acquired a few odds and ends of fishing gear...


All the time we were on the hill we didn't see another person, taking the long way home and cutting through Northycote farm soon changed that as people made their way to this local beauty spot to make the most of this early burst of sunshine.

The Journey home...





8 comments:

  1. Nice day out.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

      Delete
  2. I know how you feel. Seeing human refuse can be upsetting. I see it all the time. There is a preserve here farther back in the woodland that has hiking trails. It is a little better. There are some strategically placed garbage cans, benches, and picnic tables closer to the trail head for the public.

    I like the Sodbuster. I would like it even more if it had a lockback. I carry a SAK (Swiss Army Knife) Hiker model for EDC. The best knife though is the one you have with you when you need it. I'm not much into feather sticks but they are useful. Primitive fire is always challenging and I always learn something new every time I make and use a firebow set, whether successful or not. Keep at it and you will get it. Thanks for sharing and all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't seem to matter if there are bins or not too many find the floor more convenient unfortunately. Lock backs are illegal here to EDC, ho-hum :(

      Delete
  3. Litter louts should be given community service not fines and made to litter pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100% unfortunately they just get away with it.

      Delete
    2. I agree 100% unfortunately they just get away with it.

      Delete
  4. I disagree. I think litter louts should be executed. 0% re-offend rate ;)

    ReplyDelete