Monday, 28 October 2013

My BushCraft Coat.


I don’t write a lot about clothing because the subject is done to death and biased by the authors personal preferences, hey this is my blog I figure if I can’t demonstrate bias here then where can I? Smile I see lots of references to mil surplus, gore-tex and such but very few to the good old waxed jacket, after my personal experience I can’t help but wonder, why not? As I’m about to do a tutorial on my DIY reproofing I thought I’d do a quick review of the coat itself.

I bought this waxed jacket a few years ago at the carboot sale, I believe they were factory seconds the chaps selling had LOADS in various sizes in mint condition at £5 a go.
This is a full sized jacket and comes to around mid thigh when worn.
Wolverhampton-20131028-00999

It has a detachable hood, affixed with press studs.

IMG-20131028-00995Wolverhampton-20131028-01000

After trying several on I settled on an oversized jacket. Despite the size on the label I still cannot do the top press stud up while wearing a polo neck or scarf, it just sits too snuggly to allow however that said I’ve not been found wanting.

IMG-20131028-00992

It had an elasticated cuff which came to mid forearm which was bloody uncomfortable and needed to be removed.

IMG-20131028-00994

The zipper doesn’t travel the length of the garment but ends around waist level, allowing for freedom of movement of the legs.

Wolverhampton-20131028-01001

I once made the mistake of fastening all the press studs whilst mucking about in the undergrowth, which resulted in the ripping and loss of the lowest press stud. I repaired the damage but never got around to replacing the stud.
IMG-20131028-00997

Once I didn’t fasten one of the pockets properly which ended up getting snagged and torn, again nothing that couldn’t be fixed with a needle and thread.
IMG-20131028-00988

It has 4 good sized outer pockets, and 1 “poachers” pocket inside.

IMG-20131028-00983IMG-20131028-00990

Windproof, waterproof, hardwearing and relatively quiet whilst moving through the undergrowth searching those shy and elusive wild foragables  Winking smile, PLUS it’s GREEN Open-mouthed smile.  If you can drop on a bargain as I did, I can only tell you my experiences have been nothing but positive.

1 comment:

  1. I have worn waxproof gear for the last 30+ years.
    Heavy and bulky,but bomb proof and practical for day hikes fishing,hunting.Good around fires,plus the older they get the better they look....Wabi Sabi for me i guess.

    ReplyDelete