Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Chicken of the woods revisited

Ambers been pestering me to try some since we found the last one, my wife ever the paranoid was a little reluctant but yesterday I went off down to the woods in search of our fungal friend,

brook1

Found him just where we’d left him looking a lil older and a lil bit more sorry for himself. Cutting close to the trunk but not to close to allow regrowth I scurried away home with my bounty.

cookinchuck2

I decided to keep it simple and cook it slowly in butter.

 

cookinchuckcookinchuck1

 

It was rather bitter, I’ll admit I over cooked it slightly but I don’t remember it being as bitter the last time I tried it, Amber was far from impressed I only wish I’d had a camera to hand to catch the expression on her face.

2 comments:

  1. best to boil it first then fry it or use in soups and stews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AAAhhhh boil before frying didn't know that, yeah I knew about soups and stews like I said this was just for Amber to sample.

      I thought it might have been because it was an older specimen, next time I'll definately boil first though thank you for the tip.

      Delete