Sunday, 26 August 2012

What am I?…………I am………

I am: yet what I am none cares or knows,
My friends forsake me like a memory lost;
I am the self-consumer of my woes,
They rise and vanish in oblivious host,
Like shades in love and death's oblivion lost;
And yet I am! and live with shadows tost
Into the nothingness of scorn and noise,
Into the living sea of waking dreams,
Where there is neither sense of life nor joys,
But the vast shipwreck of my life's esteems;
And e'en the dearest--that I loved the best--
Are strange--nay, rather stranger than the rest.
I long for scenes where man has never trod;
A place where woman never smil'd or wept;
There to abide with my creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept:
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie;
The grass below--above the vaulted sky.
John Clare
 
Now I’m not one to get carried away with the latest conspiracy theory but maybe the Mayans were onto something this seems to be the year of divisions and splits amongst various communities preppers/survivalists the bushcrafters/wilderness survival crowds all seem to be coming apart as opposed to their interests bringing them together.
I’ve been reading different blogs, watched a couple of youtube videos lately where people seem to be trying to re-invent the wheel (so to speak). Some people seem disillusioned with today’s bushcraft movement/community. Minimalist, Neo-traditionalists, Swagmen the list goes on but basically its all the same thing Bushcraft/ Wilderness survival, I can understand some of the resentment towards the bushcraft community at large after my run in at the Bushcraft Show but really it’s all just Bushcraft.
For myself I have no interest in carving spoons or wood spirits which seem to be popular bushcraft activities, I don’t care about the latest kit I’m quite happy to pocket my SAK Forrester and disappear for a couple of hours down the woods, sometimes just sitting and watching/listening people seem to be in such a rush in their day to day lives getting to the woods for me is recharging I don’t have to be busy to enjoy it. Does that mean I’m not a bushcrafter? Maybe, Maybe not but I’m out there learning, trying to teach my kids, hurting no one and having fun so *shrug* isn’t that what its all about with or without the latest and greatest bit of kit? I don’t begrudge anyone their kit it’s their money so why begrudge me not having it?
If you recognise yourself ………… please understand I mean no disrespect if I read your blog or watched your vids it’s because I enjoy reading what you have to say, it doesn’t mean I have to agree with all of it.

1 comment: